So we knew this was going to happen when we bought a house, especially a new build. There was so much that needed to be done to make it functional. We could have had the builder hammer out our wish list - but that would have come with a huge price tag - so we decided against it and kept a running list and chiseled away at it for the first couple weeks we lived in the new house.
To do list:
1.) Install blinds throughout the house
2.) Install 2 garage door openers
2b.) Install extenders for the garage door openers because once assembled we found they were too short ... fuck!
3.) Install attic ladder and frame
4.) Buy plywood planks to put in the attic for added storage space
5.) Install 2 flood lights in rear of house
6.) Install 3 pendant lights in kitchen which were prewired
7.) Buy furniture!!! (my favorite part!)
8.) Find a dog run on craigslist and assemble
9.) Install dog door with access to the dog run
10.) Get fill dirt and rock to make a pad for the dog run
Most of this had to be done in the first couple weeks. It didn't help that my boss wanted me to go on a work trip the week of our move (typical - business trip the week of my wedding, business trip the week after a big move....it's like he waits for life events to throw a big wrench in it...we'll see what happens when I have a baby).
The biggest priority was the dog run. Once we moved in and started unpacking we realized how frustrating it was to have to take the dogs out 3-4 times a day. We can't trust the dogs to be off leash, they just don't listen, especially when their in exploring mode. After all, they're just a bunch of hound dogs. Another thing we weren't expecting was how stressed they all got after the move, it was sort of a big deal for them. I have moved in the past with the little dogs, and they never seems this stressed before. I think it might be because we've been stationary for the last 3 years. Anyway, long story short... since I was going on a work trip and Paul would be at home alone with the puppets (the emotional Dixie was a real concern) he wanted to make sure the dog run was set up before I left. So we were hard at work getting that all sorted out. Finding the fence was the most difficult part. We didn't have a lot of time to search for used fence. But we got pretty lucky and found someone near by that was selling a bunch of fence panels, the price was a bit high, but we needed it. We then went to a local landscaping business and got fill dirt and rock for the pad of the kennel then started on the project ASAP. Luckily it wasn't in the hundreds yet (degree weather I'm referring to) so it wasn't too unbearable. I still had to take lots of breaks - shoveling is hard work!
Here is the finished product:
Paul bought some shade material at The Home Depot for the top - not only to provide shade, but keep scary hawks from swooping down and grabbing a weenie for dinner.
I don't have a picture of it... I'll look and update if I find one.... but we built a raised bed/stand to put out here. It's just to the left of the ramp, and the dogs can go out and sun bathe and lay out and listen to things around the neighborhood when they get the urge. Arnie spends lots of time out there! I can't wait to get the rest of the property fenced in so we can let them wander on a larger scale! ..... hopefully very soon!
A couple more things to show for today.... blinds hung. We chose a dark wood (faux wood actually) for the windows as it matched our decor better. Here's the dining room, with our new dining room table. I still have to figure out a center piece for the table - it's a work in progress (it's changed since this picture was taken).
Well that'll do it for now.... and if you were wondering, we did get all that was on that list completed. I will update a little later on.





How awesome! We just bought a house too and it's amazing how much you can put on a to-do list, lol. I'm excited though, because I enjoy the process :)
ReplyDeleteP.S. Cute pups!